MIKE HALL, Adventure Sports, Travel, Overlanding, Backcountry, Avalanche, Snowmobile, Snowmobiling, Snowboard, Snowboarding, Sledboarding, Winter Fat Tire Mountain Biking, Mountain Biking, Ski Patrol, Motorcycle, BMW Adventure Motorcycling, Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, Oregon, Utah, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Jackman, Maine

Monday, March 10, 2008

What the Heck Ya got in That Pack, Man?

The pack with snowboard attached, after hike to the top of the mountain. In Montana, over New Years 08.
Triple collapse poles from Black Diamond. So easy to pack.
BCA Companion avy shovel, it is a short handle. The avalanche probe fits right in the handle. I like having the probe and shovel together. Very handy, don't have to hunt for either.
Shown apart, probe slides into handle of shovel.
Odds and ends, compass, also reads slope angle. Knife screw driver tool, whistle, orange flashlight, razor blade, carabiners, small pulley, electric tape, pepper spray(critters out in those mountains).

It was up north of Bozeman, MT, Jan 07. I was up in the backcountry and there were Mountain Lion tracks in my tracks from the day before. I kept my eyes open as I snowshoed up higher that day.
Tracker avalanche transceiver, must have and know how to use. The top transceiver is set on transmit. The bottom transceiver is on search. The signal waves travel in a curve, that is something a person has to learn and practice. That is why one needs to take an avalanche course. I have taken a course every 2 years, Level 1, Level 2 and took a refresher level 1 again this last fall. It is like refreshing on my Ski Patrol skills. It keeps you sharp.
Sleeping bag liner, I used one during the wait for Search & Rescue in my accident. I draped it over my head and back to conserve body heat.
Fire starter kit I put together, Small fire starter sticks, matches and lighter.
Munchies, Mix of carbs and protein. Beef jerky, peanuts, energy bars, Power Bars. Energy gels Power Bar Gel and Accel Gel for quick energy.
This is a 2.8 pound 1 person tent for an emergency shelter. I carry this on the sled in a water proof bag. After being caught out in a blizzard 3 years ago it always travels with me.
Rope, high quality climbing rope, about 120 feet of length. Rope is always good. I also carry 130 feet on my sled.
Lightweight climbing harness, ya never know. There's cliffs out there, man.
Headlamp, extra batteries. Extra silk head, face mask. It does get dark and cold out in them there mountains, Vern.
First Aid Kit. I'm sure I carry more than most people. I see what can happen out there, anywhere.
Walkie talkie, that even sounds cool. They are handy when we might get separated, I keep them on a neck cord to throw on quickly. You could put them on scan to pick up a signal.
Clear goggles for dark or an extra set in wet conditions, bandanna use it for any thing, tie a splint, cover face, sling with tape over shoulder. Soft gloves to use when not sledding or boarding. Map of Wyoming, cause that's where the snow is.
All packed away in nice little stash sacks, Each picture of items is in a separate sack. There is room to throw in an extra vest in case.

This is the Dakine Poacher pack. It is very well designed. It rides on my back very good. I can wear it all day. The compartments are well thought out. The best large pack I have owned, and I've had a few. It is too large for, in resort. A backcountry pack it is. I use a smaller Dakine Heli pack in the resorts.

No comments: