MIKE HALL, Adventure Sports, Travel, Overlanding, Backcountry, Avalanche, Snowmobile, Snowmobiling, Snowboard, Snowboarding, Sledboarding, Winter Fat Tire Mountain Biking, Mountain Biking, Ski Patrol, Motorcycle, BMW Adventure Motorcycling, Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, Oregon, Utah, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Jackman, Maine

Friday, September 27, 2013

Wolves in the Woods / Breaking Trail with the Suzuki DRZ400

 CLICK ON PICTURES TO ENLARGE!!
Day 1
Arrive up north with a clean freshly lubed motorcycle and truck...
 Gotta love a good knobby.
 The exploring this trip got into some remote and overgrown trails. By the end of the summer on the untraveled trails, the foliage covers the trail leaving a faint path to navigate through.

 By exploring the path least taken, one is treated to sights such as this remote pond. As I crept up to the opening I noticed a pair of Wood Ducks on the far shore, it's great to be out observing nature. 
 This is a set of tracks that I believe are wolf tracks. Large and traveling in a straight line down one of the logging roads. I followed the tracks for over a mile down the trail before they cut into the woods. 
 Day one was a good riding and woods experience. Exploring new areas, seeing the signs of wildlife and gettin' dirty.

Topping the end of the day off with a good supper at a local bar and grill with Weezer was good stuff.

Day 2
Day 2 started out rolling down some logging roads and opening up the 400 a bit.

I turned off on a smaller narrow trail and came upon some more, what I believe were 3 sets of wolf tracks. The tracks appeared to be fairly fresh.

As I travel down the trails I keep an eye out for any signs of tracks in the mud. This day I was several miles west of the riding on day 1. I have heard that wolves have moved into this general region. It would be exciting to have a wolf sighting this fall.

The Suzuki in it's element...blending into the foliage.
As I headed farther north, I came upon a pond that a beaver family had dammed up. Along the dam I observed a fresh set of bear tracks in the mud. It's great to be able to ride into these remote areas and be close to the wildlife and know that I may get a sighting of some elusive critter.  
In this picture I am standing on the beaver dam which is about 5 feet high and in the corner of the pond I could see the massive beaver house.

Exploring is my passion and the 400 Suzuki is a great means of backcountry travel!
Meanwhile back at the cabin awaits an ice cold Montana beer, "Moose Drool" to refresh after a day in the saddle.
Good Times!!

6 comments:

Chris said...

Great pics! Looks like a blast. What happened to the white F150 Eco?

HALLN' said...

Thanks, the new Suzuki plays well in the woods. The white F150 was retired and replaced with black 2013 Eco. Swapped my tires and wheels onto the new one.

Chris said...

I followed your advice with the bike setup. I put a retractable cover over the bed from Truck Cover USA. They integrate the yakima rails into the cover, so I just added towers and bars...able to carry five bikes and keep my gear dry in the bed. Now I just need to get a new wheel/tire setup. I pull a 31' travel trailer and the 20' wheels with the factory pirelli scorpions just don't cut it.

HALLN' said...

Hey Chris,

It will make all the difference in your truck to put good tires and wheels. The 2 combos I would recommend would be either the set-up that I'm running now, which is 285/70/17 Goodyear Dura-Trac / D rated or BFG All Terrain 285/70/17 e rated.

Another setup is to go with an 18" wheel and the Goodyear Wangler Pro Grade / E rated 275/70/18 tire.

I have used both setups for over 200,000 miles. Many of those miles have been pulling trailers up to 11,000 pounds.

Chris said...

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the tire set up suggestions!

What brand wheel would you suggest that is easy to maintain and will hold up in MN winters?

HALLN' said...

I have been buying my wheels at Discount Tire, I always do a black wheel, have had good luck with any wheel brand from them.